The role of mechanical insufflation exsufflation device in the magament of impaired cough strength.
This session will take a practical approach to the teaching of a basic assessment and treatment of reduced cough effectiveness in the clinical environment. Focusing primarily on mechanical insufflation/exsufflation device as an effective treatment option, the session will provide an opportunity for attendees to learn about why we may choose to use a cough assist device and the appropriate patient groups for this, as well as providing advice from physiotherapy and nursing perspectives.
- - To outline the stages of a normal cough process
- - Highlight problems within the cough process and how these may present clinically during assessment
- - To outline indication for cough assist treatment in both an acute and long-term setting
- - To identify contraindications to cough assist
- - To demonstrate use of cough assist within the clinical environment